Computer Oversight Committee
Established in 2001 by the Computer Planning Committee, as a standing committee that reviews and suggests changes to the Lamont computing environment on an annual basis.
In carrying out these tasks, the Committee shall also develop policy and procedures regarding computing revenue cost recovery, and acceptable computing practices on the Lamont campus.
From time to time, the Chair will convene meetings of the Committee when substantive issues regarding computing on the Lamont campus are identified and require a timely response.
– 1 Chairperson (appointed by the LDEO Director)
– 1 member representing CIESIN (nominated by CIESIN)
– 1 member representing the IRI (nominated by IRI)
– 1 member from each of the 5 Research Divisions of LDEO (each nominated by the cognizant Associate Director):
– 1 member representing Central Administrative Services (nominated by the Director for Administration)
– The Network Support Group will be represented: a small number of its senior members in an ex-officio capacity.
If, in the future, other CEI units develop a significant presence on the Lamont campus, such bodies will be invited to nominate members. Insofar as practical, the Oversight Committee will be staffed by a mix of scientific and technical personnel.
The Oversight Committee will be organized into two groups with different areas of responsibility. A Network Subcommittee will be responsible for recommendations on campus network issues. Members of this Subcommittee will be drawn equally from those members of the full Oversight Committee who represent the Earth Institute units on the Lamont Campus and Central Administrative Services. The Computing Services Subcommittee will comprise the Observatory Research Division and Central Administrative Services members of the full Oversight Committee. This Subcommittee will focus on the computing needs and policy issues that concern the Observatory only. Both Subcommittees will be chaired by the Chair of the Oversight Committee and will include the Network Support Group representatives.