FAS Computer Operations
The office maintains an independent computerized accounting system from FAS. This system not only maintains the LDEO accounting system but also drives much of the data input to FAS. The system is used to:
- Create data tapes for processing of most invoices.
- Create data tapes for the processing to FAS of all Interdepartmental Invoices; some of these recharge centers process completely electronically such as telephone billing and computer network charges.
- Create data tape for the processing of labor distribution to FAS.
- Post to the LDEO accounting system all charges not originated at LDEO such as Chemistry stores, Faculty House charges, insurance charges, etc.
- Post to the LDEO accounting system all ship operation charges.
- Performs automatic reconciliation of transactions between LDEO and FAS.
- Maintains statement records for all LDEO accounts.
- Performs year-end closing functions.
- Prints monthly reports to be used as management tools within accounting.
- Allows the Division Administrators immediate on-line access to their account expenditures. Principal investigators have information available to them which is downloaded nightly to ledger.
- Monitors charges to individual accounts via a system of status flags.
All of the above functions are a part of the software known as LDEO-FAS which has been written specifically for the purposes of the office by an outside consultant. In addition to LDEO-FAS, the office utilizes other custom made programs supplied by Administrative Computing Services including:
- Extraction from LDEO-FAS data files information to be used for other purposes such as information on contract purchase orders.
- Utilization of the FAS produced tapes for compilation of the annual fiscal reports.
- Utilization of information down loaded from FAS to produce various reports including overdrafts.