Lamont's Climate Center (CC) receives income from an endowment established by the Vetlesen Foundation. The amount of the income varies from fiscal year to fiscal year and depends on the dividends earned from the original principal. The money is used for five major purposes:
- To fund each semester a visit by a prominent scientist.
- To fund one or two mini-conferences at Lamont each year.
- To fund each year 2 students in the undergraduate research project for the Earth Intern program.
- To fund start-up research projects aimed at leveraging government sponsored research grants. For a list of projects funded in the more recent past, click here
- To fund (partially) a Marie Tharp or LDEO postdoctoral fellow.
The majority of our funds go into the latter of these five initiatives.