The Climate Center proposal template is as follows:
- PRINCIPAL INVESTIGATOR AND CO-INVESTIGATORS
- (please list NAME(S), AFFILIATION(S) and TITLE(S)).
- PROPOSED RESEARCH (including FIGURES, TABLES, ETC.)
- ITEMIZED BUDGET (excluding 3% Administrative Fee)
- Please indicate if your project might be appropriate for an UNDERGRADUATE SUMMER INTERN (Fall RFP only)
- List of PRIOR CLIMATE CENTER PROPOSALS AND RESULTS (this section is not included in the three-page limit in order to provide enough space for the results)
- The proposal should be no longer than 3 pages (including FIGURES, TABLES, ETC.) plus 1 page for results from prior Climate Center support, have 1-inch margins on all 4 sides and font should be 11pt or larger.
2. Answer. An itemized budget not to exceed $10,000 is required with each proposal and is part of the page limit. Although the administrative fee is exclusive of the $10,000 budget limit, please include fringe for salaries.
Budget was increased from $8,000 to $10,000 effective October 2012.
3. Answer. Although Climate Center Awards do not have the standard LDEO ICR fee of 53%, there is an administrative charge of 3% on Climate Center Awards. Do not add the administrative fee to your budget; it will be added automatically to the award.
4. Answer. The RFP is twice a year: April and October. However, we will consider a proposal request outside of the two RFPs if it is time-sensitive. A very strong argument needs to be made though in the application.
- To fund Climate Center Visitors to LDEO and GISS
- To fund mini-conferences
- To fund undergraduate research
- To fund start-up research projects
- To fund (partially) a Marie Tharp or LDEO postdoctoral fellow
7. Answer. Salaries for PIs or Administrative Support (except for technicians, undergraduate, or graduate students (summer salary)), travel funds for off-campus meetings, administrative support, and computers (unless instrumental for the project).
- A PI cannot be the lead PI on more than one proposal submission per RFP.
- A PI cannot be a co-PI on more than two proposal submissions per RFP.
If a PI submits more than one proposal per RFP as lead PI or more than two proposals as co-PI/lead PI, then the PI will be asked to withdraw all but the allowed one or two submissions.
16. Answer. A lecturer in climate studies who spends a week at LDEO and GISS meeting and collaborating with the scientific staff. The lecturer gives two presentations at LDEO, and one at GISS (one geared towards a general audience, the second on an esoteric topic, and a seminar at GISS geared towards modelers). Travel support and an honorarium of $1,700.00 USD are given to the lecturer.
18. Answer. No, they are two distinct entities. Please contact Dr. Cynthia Rosenzweig (+1-212-678-5562) for information regarding the Center for Climate Systems Research .