Photo courtesy of Bob Bertaut Sr.
Lamont scientist Kim Kastens chaired the DLESE Collections Comittee from 1999-2003. This is an archive of documents from Suzanne Larsen of the University of Colorado chaired the Collections Committee from 2003-2005. The Committee was disbanded in the summer of 2005.
The Collections Committee of the Digital Library for Earth System Education (DLESE) concerns itself with the resources in the DLESE Collection, including:
- What shall be the scope and emphasis of the collection?
- What "collections policy" shall guide the growth of the library?
- By what mechanism shall items be selected for the "reviewed collection"?
- How can we harness the power of the web and the strength of numbers in the DLESE community to ensure that the materials in the collection are of highest possible quality?
- How can we ensure that the collection meets the needs of teachers and learners in hard-to-teach situations (e.g. urban students with limited access to Nature, place-bound students, visually-impaired students, minorities traditionally underrepresented in science and math)?
- As the collection grows, how will we assess whether it is growing in a balanced manner or lopsided manner, with respect to discipline, level, type of resource, etc.?
- How can we encourage contributions to the library by rewarding resource creators with appropriate academic career recognition?
To catch up with our thinking, please look through the following documents:
- Collections Panel report from Coolfont Meeting (August 1999).
- Draft Action Plan (February 28, 2000).
- DLESE Collections Policy (October, 2000).
- DLESE Scope Statement (pdf) (Jan 2000).
How to build the DLESE Broad Collection
- Suggest a URL for consideration for the DLESE Broad Collection.
- Presentation to Steering Committee about filters at the gateway to the Reviewed Collection. Kim Kastens & Karen Kelly, April 24, 2001.
- Strawman plan for filters at the entrance to the Broad Collection (Feb 2001).
- Workshop on the Quality of the Broad Collection (June 30- July 1, 2003, L-DEO).
How to ensure that DLESE resources are findable.
- DLESE Program Center Metadata Working Group Website.
- Focus Group on "Metadata" - DLESE Leadership Workshop, Bozeman, MT (June 2000).
How to Build the DLESE Reviewed Collection.
- Thoughts on How to Build a DLESE Collection ( = "Community Review" document) - Kim Kastens, 2/14/00.
- Figure: Plan for information flow in the "community review" system (April 2000).
- Focus Group on "Building the Reviewed Collection" - DLESE Leadership Workshop, Bozeman, MT (June 2000).
- Kastens, K. A., and John C. Butler, 2001, How to identify the "best" resources for the reviewed collection of the Digital Library for Earth System Education, Computers and the Geosciences, v. 27 (3), 375-378.
- Kastens, K. A., 2005, The DLESE Community Review System: Gathering, Aggregating, and Disseminating User Feedback about the Effectiveness of Web-based Educational Resources, Journal of Geoscience Education, v. 53 (1), 375-378.
- Editorial Review Board for the Community Review System.
- Testbed for the Community Review System.
- Journal of Earth System Science Education.
- On-line discussion of the meaning of the seven review criteria.
- On-line discussion of "Scientific Accuracy" criterion.
- On-line discussion of "Well-documented" criterion.
- On-line discussion of "Importance or significance" criterion.
- On-line discussion of "Pedagogical effectiveness" criterion.
- On-line discussion of "Ease of use" criterion.
- On-line discussion of "Inspirational/motivational" criterion.
- On-line discussion of "Robustness as a digital resource" criterion.
- Best Practices for Resources Submitted for the DLESE Reviewed Collection (April 2003)
How to Assess the DLESE Collection.
- Example of Topics for Collections Assessment (April 2000).
- Figure: Plan for information flow in "collections assessment" system (May 2000).
How to reward contributors to DLESE Collection.
- Academic Recognition Task Force document (February 2000).
- Academic/Career Recognition Task Force home page.
- Summary of Results from Academic/Career Recognition Task Force Survey (May 2000).
- Focus Group on "Rewards and Recognition" - DLESE Leadership Workshop, Bozeman, MT (June 2000).
DLESE Collections Proposals:
- Collaborative Project: To Gather, Document, Filter and Assess the Broad and Deep Collection of the Digital Library for Earth System Education (PI's: Kim Kastens, Barbara DeFelice, Christopher DiLeonardo, Sharon Tahirkheli. 09/01/00 - 8/31/02).
- Proposal to build a digital library of geoscience images (GeoDIL) (PI's: Dexter Perkins and Joseph Hartman)
- Collaborative Project: To Enhance the Depth, Breadth, and Quality of the Collections of the Digital Library for Earth Systems Education (DLESE) (09/15/02 - 9/14/04).
- Digital Library for Earth System Education (DLESE) home page.
- Subscribe to the DLESE Collections Listserver.
- National SMETE Digital Library ("SMETE"= "Science, Math, Engineering and Technology Education")
Support for this website was provided by the National Science Foundation's National Science, Mathematics, Engineering and Technology Education Digital Library Program under grant DUE0085827. Any opinions, findings, and conclusions or recommendations expressed in this material are those of the author(s) and do not necessarily reflect the views of the National Science Foundation.