Earth Intern Program
Earth Intern Program for Columbia University Undergraduates
2014 program dates: May 29th - August 5th, 2014
Sponsored by the Earth Institute, Lamont-Doherty Earth Observatory, Barnard College, Columbia College, the Department of Earth and Environmental Sciences at Columbia University, and Columbia Engineering
The Earth Intern Program offers the chance to experience scientific research as an undergraduate. The program is open to all Columbia College, Columbia Engineering, Columbia General Studies, and Barnard College students who have completed their junior or sophomore year in college with majors (or anticipated majors) in earth science, environmental science, chemistry, biology, physics, mathematics, engineering, sustainable development or political science. Graduating seniors are not eligible. Minorities and women are encouraged to apply.
Applicants should have an interest in conducting research in the Earth, atmospheric, or ocean sciences. Completion of at least two courses in Earth, atmospheric or ocean sciences is desirable. All students are required to have at least one year of calculus. Students undertaking research in geochemistry and chemical oceanography are required to have at least two semesters of college-level chemistry. Students undertaking research in marine biology are required to have at least two semesters of college-level biology. Students undertaking research in geophysics should have at least three semesters of college-level physics.
The program features:
- A hands-on research project under the supervision of a Columbia-affiliated scientist;
- special lectures, workshops and fieldtrips;
- free housing in an air-conditioned Columbia University dormitory;
- and a 10-week stipend of $5000
For more information and to view the listing of advisors and projects, download the following two documents and read them completely before filling out the application:
In order to be able to access and complete the online application form properly, you need to have
- The latest version of Firefox, Internet Explorer, or Safari as your browser (STRONGLY recommended).
- Your resume completed and saved as a PDF file.
- Your top three choices for advisor. You will be asked to specify them in the application.
If you have trouble with the above requirements, please contact the webmaster.