How Mapping Sonars Work
MB-System supports data from multibeam, interferometry, sidescan, and subbottom profiler
sonars. Much has been written
to explain how these sonars work and are used. This section provides
links to such documents that we have permission
to redistribute or are available on other sites. The MB-System team and
its supporting institutions and funding agencies make no claim
regarding the accuracy or usefulness of these documents.
- Calculation of multibeam beam angles using tranducer array mounting angles, sonar orientation, and the transmit and receive steering angles
- Beaudoin, J., Hughes Clarke, J., and Bartlett, J., "Application of Surface Sound Speed Measurements in Post-Processing for Multi-Sector Multibeam Echosounders", International Hydrographic Review, v.5, no.3, p.26-31, 2004.
- Code contributed by Jonathan Beaudoin based on this paper is used to do beam angle calculations in MB-System
- Sea Technology paper on subbottom profilers by Paul Henkart (author of SIOSEIS)
- A document discussing the basic signal processing aspects of chirp subbottom profilers
Last Updated: 29 October 2014