Biology & Paleo Environment Events
For upcoming seminars, see our calendar here.
Our new seminar day and time: Mondays at 12 pm, Comer Seminar Room
"Paleo sea level changes: knowns and unknowns."
The study of paleo sea levels is often problematic, with few knowns and many unknowns, and only one equation to solve them. In this talk Dr. A. Rovere and Dr. D. Harris will present the different approaches that can be used to unravel paleo sea level histories starting from field data and building on the results of earth and ice models. The potential effects such changes of sea level may have on coral reef systems will also be presented. The talk will be based on works in publication or in preparation, and will span across a large timescale, from Holocene to Pliocene sea level studies.
- SPECIAL SEMINAR: Wednesday August 27th @ 11:00 am, Comer Seminar Room, Dr. Fulvio Boatta, University of Palermo. Visiting scientist at LDEO. Host: Joaquim Goes
- Monday September 8, 12 pm: Dr. Chris Brierley, UCL. "Pliocene Tropical Dynamics." Host: Peter deMenocal.
- Monday September 15, 12 pm: Jessica Moerman, PhD Student at Georgia Tech, "Improving tropical paleoclimate interpretations by monitoring modern water isotopes". Host: Maureen Raymo
- Monday September 22, 12 pm: Sloan Coats, PhD Candidate LDEO
- Monday September 29, 12 pm: Dr. Natalie Burls, Postdoctoral Associate, Yale, "A cloud albedo control on ocean temperature gradients and implications for early Pliocene warmth". Host: Heather Ford
- Monday October 6, 12 pm: Dr. Carly Buchwald, WHOI. Host: Kim Popendorf "Nitrogen cycling in the primary and secondary nitrite maxima of the Costa Rica Upwelling Dome."
- Monday October 13, 12 pm: Dr. Liz Corbett, Postdoctoral Research Fellow, LDEO. Host: Dorothy Peteet. "Quantifying the Microbial Utilization of Methanogenesis and Methane Loss from Northern Wetlands"
- Monday October 20, 12 pm: Tammo Reichgelt, PhD student, University of Otago, New Zealand, "Seasonal climatic gradients of Early Miocene New Zealand". Host: Billy d'Andrea
- Monday October 27, 12 pm: Dr. Paola Moffa Sanchez, Postdoctoral fellow, Rutgers University. Host: Billy d'Andrea
- Monday November 3, 12 pm: Dr. Kevin Uno, Postdoctoral Research Fellow, LDEO. Host: Peter deMenocal
- Monday November 10, 12 pm: Dr. Bethany Jenkins, Associate Professor, University of Rhode Island. Hosts: Hugh Ducklow and Sonya Dyhrman. "Anaerobes getting their fix: a new source of nitrogen in estuarine sediments."
- Monday November 17, 12 pm: Dr. Heather Graham, Postdoctoral Fellow, NASA/GSFC. Host: Pratigya Polissar.
- Monday November 24, 12 pm: Dr. Etienne Boucher, Professor, Department of Geography and GEOTOP, Université du Québec à Montréal. "Data-model fusion in dendroclimatology: general ideas, applications, and research perspectives." Host: Laia Andreu
- Monday December 1, 12 pm: Dr. Dan Ohnemus, Postdoctoral Researcher, Bigelow Labs. "" Host: Kim Popendorf
- Monday December 8, 12 pm: Dr. Alessio Rovere, MARUM & Dr. Daniel Harris, postdoctoral researcher at MARUM. Host: Maureen Raymo
- End of Fall BPE Seminar Series -AGU Annual Meeting
Additional talks can be seen on the