Biology & Paleo Environment Events
For upcoming seminars, see our calendar here.
Time and Location: Mondays at 12 pm, Comer Seminar Room
“Learning from the Impacts of Superstorm Sandy: Paleotempestology on Long Island.”
E. Christa Farmer and J. Bret Bennington
- February 2nd: Postponed due to winter storm
- February 9th: Dr. Todd Sowers, Senior Scientist EESI, Penn State. Host: Pratigya Polissar. "Methane Isotope Records Spanning the last 160kyr: Correlations and Conundrums."
- SPECIAL SEMINAR February 13th @ 1 pm: Dr. Matt Bekker, Brigham Young University. Host: Brendan Buckley. "Lessons from Centennial- and Millennial-length Reconstructions of Northern Utah’s Hydroclimate from Tree Rings."
- February 16th: Open
- February 23rd: Dr. Lidya Tarhan, Postdoctoral Researcher, Yale University. Host: Cassaundra Rose. "Protracted Development of Bioturbation through the Early Paleozoic."
- March 2nd, 2 pm: Dr. Christa Farmer, Hofstra. Host: Mike Kaplan. Paleotempestology
- March 9th: Dr. Carling Hay, Postdoctoral Fellow, Harvard University. Host: Maureen Raymo. "Revisiting the Past: Fingerprinting the Sources of 20th Century Global Sea-Level Rise."
- March 16th:
- March 23rd: Dr. Ailene Ettinger, Putnam Fellow, The Arnold Arboretum of Harvard University. Host: Ben Cook
- March 30th: Dr. Steven Smriga, MIT. Host: Andrew Juhl. "Dissecting the Phycosphere: Upscaling Bacterial Consumption Near Individual Diatoms."
- April 6th: Dr. Jodi Young, Postdoctoral Researcher, Princeton University. Host: Kim Popendorf. "Physiological mechanisms supporting high net primary productivity in the Western Antarctic Peninsula."
- April 13th: Dr. Mrinalini Nikrad, Postdoc, Rutgers. Host: Jeff Bowman. Bacterial abundance and activity in polar marine and soil environments.
- April 20th: Dr. Senji Lin, UConn. Host: Joaquim Goes. "Energy and nutrient strategies in dinoflagellates."
- SPECIAL SEMINAR April 20th, 2:30 pm: Dr. Aldo Shemesh, Weizmann Institute. Host: Yoni Goldsmith.
- April 27th: Dr. Jennifer Stanford, Drexel University. Host: Andy Juhl.
- SPECIAL SEMINAR May 1st @ 12:15 pm: Dr. Steven Meyers. Host: Maureen Raymo
- May 4th: Dr. Suni Shah Walter, Harvard University. Host: Kim Popendorf.
- May 11th:
- May 18th: Dr. Brad Linsley, LDEO. American Samoa coral record of S. Pacific climate
- June 1st:
Additional talks can be seen on the