For upcoming seminars, see our calendar here.
Current Seminar Managers: Samuel Phelps
Time and Location: Mondays at 12 pm, Comer Seminar Room
Talk schedule for Fall 2015 is forthcoming.
- February 2nd: Postponed due to winter storm
- February 9th: Dr. Todd Sowers, Senior Scientist EESI, Penn State. Host: Pratigya Polissar. "Methane Isotope Records Spanning the last 160kyr: Correlations and Conundrums."
- SPECIAL SEMINAR February 13th @ 1 pm: Dr. Matt Bekker, Brigham Young University. Host: Brendan Buckley. "Lessons from Centennial- and Millennial-length Reconstructions of Northern Utah’s Hydroclimate from Tree Rings."
- February 16th: open
- February 23rd: Dr. Lidya Tarhan, Postdoctoral Researcher, Yale University. Host: Cassaundra Rose. "Protracted Development of Bioturbation through the Early Paleozoic."
- March 2nd, 2 pm: Dr. Christa Farmer, Hofstra. Host: Mike Kaplan. “Learning from the Impacts of Superstorm Sandy: Paleotempestology on Long Island.”
- March 9th: Dr. Carling Hay, Postdoctoral Fellow, Harvard University. Host: Maureen Raymo. "Revisiting the Past: Fingerprinting the Sources of 20th Century Global Sea-Level Rise."
- March 16th: open/Spring Break
- March 23rd: Dr. Ailene Ettinger, Putnam Fellow, The Arnold Arboretum of Harvard University. Host: Ben Cook. "Testing the limits: effects of climate & competition on tree ranges in a warming world"
- March 30th: Dr. Steven Smriga, MIT. Host: Andrew Juhl. "Dissecting the Phycosphere: Upscaling Bacterial Consumption Near Individual Diatoms."
- April 6th: Dr. Jodi Young, Postdoctoral Researcher, Princeton University. Host: Kim Popendorf. "Physiological mechanisms supporting high net primary productivity in the Western Antarctic Peninsula."
- SPECIAL SEMINAR April 6th, 2:30 p.m.: Dr. Erik Cordes, Associate Professor, Temple University. Host: Andy Juhl. "Understanding the Deep Sea in the Anthropocene: Oil spills and ocean acidification threaten deep-water corals in the Gulf of Mexico."
- April 13th, 2 pm: Dr. Mrinalini Nikrad, Postdoc, Rutgers. Host: Jeff Bowman. "Microbial response to changing climate in sub-zero ocean and soil ecosystems."
- April 20th: Dr. Aldo Shemesh, Weizmann Institute. Host: Yoni Goldsmith. "Recent unprecedented state of eastern Mediterranean Sea within the last millennium."
- April 27th: Dr. Jennifer Stanford, Drexel University. Host: Andy Juhl. "Changing How We Teach: Evidence-Based Approaches to Promote STEM Student Retention."
- SPECIAL SEMINAR May 1st @ 9 am & 1:00 pm: Dr. Steven Meyers. Host: Maureen Raymo.
- 9 am: Decoding climate rhythms with “Astrochon: An R Package for Astrochronology”
- 1 pm: "Climate “Noise” and the Cryosphere: New Constraints on the Evolution of Ice Sheets During the Cenozoic."
- May 4th: Dr. Suni Shah Walter, Harvard University. Host: Kim Popendorf. "Lessons about microbe-mediated transformations of deep marine DOM from radiocarbon at the North Pond CORK site."
- May 11th: Dr. Jack Scheff, Postdoc, LDEO, "Does greenhouse warming dry out the continents? Lessons from theory, proxies, and models"
- May 18th: Dr. Brad Linsley, LDEO. American Samoa coral record of S. Pacific climate
- June 1st: Dr. Navjit Sagoo, Postdoctoral Associate, Yale University. Host: Frankie Pavia. Tentative topic: dust and cloud physics in the Pliocene
Additional talks can be seen on the