Professor of Earth and Environmental Sciences
Three short papers that might give you a sense of my approach to geophysics are:
A paper that uses seismic attenuation data to show that the crust of Iceland cannot contain
large quantities of partial melt (as had been previously been hypothesized):
Menke. W. and V. Levin, Cold crust in a hot spot, Geophys. Res. Lett. 21, 1967-1970, 1994.
A paper that develops a new data-processing method for identifying and quantifying seismic anisotropy:
Menke, W. and V. Levin, The Cross-Convolution Method for Interpreting SKS Splitting Observations, with Application to One and Two Layer Anisotropic Earth Models, in Geophys. J. Int 15, 379-392, 2003.
A paper that uses seismic data to identify magma beneath a Mid-Ocean Ridge:
Menke, W., M. West and M. Tolstoy, Shallow crustal magma chamber beneath the axial high of the Coaxial Segment of Juan de Fuca Ridge at the "Source Site" of the 1993 eruption, Geology 30, 359-362, 2002.
None at this time
Menke, W. and J. Menke, Environmental Data Analysis with MATLAB, Second Edition (textbook), Academic Press (Elsevier), 2016.
113. W. Menke and G. Jin, Waveform fitting of cross spectra to determine phase velocity uisng Aki's formula, Bull. Seism. Soc. Am. 105, 1619-1627, 2015.
112. Menke, W. and Z. Eilon, Relationship between data smoothing and the regularization of inverse problems, Pure and Applied Geophysics 172, 2711-2726, 2015.
111. Menke, W., Equivalent Heterogeneity Analsysis as a Tool for Undersatnding the Resolving Power of Anisotropic Travel Time Tomography, Bull Seism Soc Am 105, 719-733, 2015.
110. Menke, W., Y. Zha, SC Webb and DK Blackman, Seismic Anisotropy Indicates Ridge-parallel Asthenospheric Flow Beneath the Eastern Lau Spreading Center, J. Geophyycial Res. 120, 976-992, 2015.
109. W. Menke and H. Menke, Improved precision of delay times determined through cross correlation achieved by out-member averaging, Jökull 64, 15-22., 2015.
108. Zha, Y., S. C. Webb, S. S. Wei, D. A. Wiens, D. K. Blackman, W. H. Menke, R. A. Dunn, J. A. Conders (2014), Upper mantle shear velocity structure beneath the Eastern Lau Spreading Center from OBS ambient noise tomography, Earth Planet. Sci. Lett. 408, 194-206, 2014
107. Menke, W., Review of the Generlized Least Squares Method, Surveys in Geophysics 36, 1-25, 2014.
106. Menke, W. (2014) Coherence Modified for Sensitivity to Relative Phase of Real Band-Limited Time Series. Applied Mathematics, 5, 2739-2745. doi: 10.4236/am.2014.517261.
104. Zha, Y., S. C. Webb, and W. Menke (2013), Determining the orientations of ocean bottom seismometers using ambient noise correlation, Geophysical Research Letters, 40(14), 3585-3590, doi: 10.1002/Grl.50698.
103. Foderaro, L., Along the Hudson, a Rare Fallen Slab Jolts a Landscape of Towering Cliffs, New York Times, June 20, 2013 (photo credit only) (not peer reviewed)
102. Menke, W. Geophysical Data Analysis: Discrete Inverse Theory, Third Edition (textbook), Academic Press (Elsevier), 293 pp, 2012.
101. Menke, W. and J, Menke, Environmental Data Analysis with MatLab (textbook), Academic Press (Elsevier), 259 pp., 2011.
100. Brandsdottir, B. and W. Menke, The Seismic Structure of Iceland, Jokull 58, 17-34, 2008.
99. Hong, T-K and W. Menke, Imaging laterally-varying regional heterogeneities from seismic coda using a source-array analysis, Phys. Earth Planet. Int. 166, 188-202, 2008.
98. Hong, T-K and W. Menke, Constituent energy of regional seismic coda, Bull. Seism. Soc. Am. 98, 454-462, 2008.
97. Menke, W., Controversy about Women in Science: A Sober Look, GAEA Association for Women Geoscientists, 1-3, May 2007.
96. Menke, W., H. Abend, D. Bach, K. Newman and V. Levin, Review of the source characteristics of the great Sumatra-Andaman Island earthquake of 2004, Surveys in Geophysics 27, 603-613, 2006.
95. Sykes, L.R. and W. Menke, Repeat Times of Large Earthquakes: Implications for Earthquake Mechanics and Long-Term Prediction, Bull. Seism. Soc. Am. 95, 1569-1596, 2006.
94. Menke, W., R.C. Holmes and J. Xie, On the nonuniqueness of the coupled origin time - velocity tomography problem, Bull. Seism. Soc. Am. 96, 1131-1139, 2006.
93. Hong, T.-K. and W. Menke, Tomographic investigation of the wear along the San Jacinto fault, southern California, Physics of the Earth and Planetary Interiors 155, 236-248, 2006.
92. Menke, W., Case studies of seismic tomography and earthquake location in a regional context, in Seismic Earth: Array Analysis of Broadband Seismograms, Alan Levander and Guust Nolet, Eds., Geophysical Monograph Series 157. American Geophysical Union, 7-36, 2005.
91. Menke, W. and V. Levin: A strategy to rapidly determine the magnitude of great earthquakes, EOS Trans. AGU 86, 185-189, 2005.
90. Menke, W., Ask the Experts: How was the Richter scale for measuring earthquakes developed?, Scientific American, May, 2005.
89. Menke, W. and D. Schaff, Absolute earthquake location with differential data, Bull. Seism. Soc. Am. 94, 2254-2264, 2004.
88. Menke, W. and V. Levin, The Cross-Convolution Method for Interpreting SKS Splitting Observations, with Application to One and Two Layer Anisotropic Earth Models, Geophys. J. Int. 154, 379-392, 2003.
87. West, M., W. Menke and M. Tolstoy, Focused magma supply at the intersection of the Cobb hotspot and the Juan de Fuca Ridge, Geophys. Res. Lett. 30, doi:10.1029/2003GL017103, 2003.
86. Sohn, R.A. and W. Menke, Application of maximum liklihood and bootstrap methods to nonlinear cure-fit problems in geochemistry, Geochemistry, Geophysics, Geosystems - G3 3; 7(253), 2002.
85. Menke, W. and V. Levin, Anomalous seaward dip of the lithosphere-asthenosphere boundary beneath northeastern US detected using differential-array measurements of Rayleigh waves, Geophys. J. Int. 149, 413-421, 2002.
84. Menke, W., M. West and M. Tolstoy, Shallow crustal magma chamber beneath the axial high of the Coaxial Segment of Juan de Fuca Ridge at the "Source Site" of the 1993 eruption, Geology 30, 359-362, 2002.
83. West, M., W. Menke. M. Tolstoy, S. Webb and R. Sohn, Magma storage beneath Axial volcano on the Juan de Fuca mid-ocean ridge, Nature 25, 833-837, 2001.
82. Rodriguez, K.M., J.K. Weissel and W.H. Menke, Lava flow textural trens using SAR; the Virunga volcanic chain, East Africa, in IGARSS 2001: Scanning the presneta and resolving the future, proceedings, International Geoscience and Remote Sensing Symposium, Inst. of Electrical and Electronic Engineers, 2421-2423, 2001.
81. West, M. and W. Menke, Fluid-induced changes in shear velocity from surface waves, Preoeedings of the symposium on the application of geophysics to engineering and environemntal problems, M.H. Powers, A.B. Ibrahim and L. Cramer (eds), Environmental and Engineering Geophysical Society, 21-28, 2000.
80. Hays, J.D., S. Pfirman, B. Blumenthal, K. Kastens and W. Menke, Earth Science instruction with digital data, Computers & Geoscience 26, 657-668, 2000.
79. Levin, Vadim, William Menke,Jeffrey Park, No regional anisotropic domains in the northerneastern U.S. Appalachians J. Geophys. Res. Vol. 105 , No. B8 , p. 19,029, 2000.
78. Levin, V., J. Park, M. Brandon and W. Menke, Thinning of the upper mantle during the late Paleozoic Appalachian orogenesis, Geology 28, 239-242, 2000.
77. Smallwood, J., R. Staples, R. Richardson, R. White and Fire Working Group, Crust generated above the Iceland mantle plume: From continental rict to oceanic spreading center, J. Geophys. Res. 104, 22,885-22,902, 1999.
76. Menke, W., Using waveform similarity to constrain earthquake location, Bull. Seism. Soc. Am. 89, 1143-1146, 1999.
75. Levin, V., W. Menke and J. Park, 1999. Shear wave splitting in the Appalachians and the Urals: A case for multilayered anisotropy J. Geophys. Res. Vol. 104 , No. B8 , p. 17,975-17,987.
74. Menke, W., Crustal isostacy indicates anomalous densities beneath Iceland, Geophys. res. Lett. 26, 1215-1218, 1999.
73. Menke, W., M. West, B. Brandsdottir and D. Sparks, Compressional and shear velocity of the lithosphere in northern Iceland, Bull. Seism. Soc. Am. 88, 1561-1571, 1998.
72. Menke, W., The most dangerous volcano in the world, Earth Matters, Fall 1998, p 18-19 (not Peer Reviewed).
71. Menke, W., Bill and the volcano, Earth Matters, Fall 1998, p 19 (not Peer Reviewed).
70. H. Guo, A. Lerner-Lam, W. Menke, and S. Hough, Empirical Green's function study of Loma Prieta aftershocks: determination of stress drop, USGS Professional Paper 1550-D, P Reasenberg, editor; 105-120, 1997.
69. R. Staples, R. White, B. Brandsdottir, W. Menke, P. Maguire, J. McBride and J. Smallwood, Faeroe-Iceland Ridge Experiment -- I. The crustal structure of north-eastern Iceland, J. Geophys. Res. 102, 7849-7866, 1997.
68. Brandsdottir, B., W. Menke, P. Einarsson, R. White and R. Staples, Faeroe-Iceland Ridge Experiment -- II, Crustal structure of the Krafla central volcano, J. Geophys. Res. 102, 7867-7886, 1997.
67. White, R., J. McBride, P. Maguire, B. Brandsdottir, W. Menke, T. Minshull, K. Richardson, J. Smallwood, R. Staples, and the FIRE Working Group, Seismic images of crust beneath Iceland contribute to long-standing debate, EOS Trans. AGU 77, 197-201, 1996.
66. Levin, V., W. Menke and A. Lerner-Lam, Seismic anisotropy in the northeastern US as a source of significant telesiesimic P traveltime anomalies, Geophysical J. Int. 126, 593-603, 1996.
65. Menke, W., B. Brandsdottir, P. Einarsson and I. Bjarnasson, Reinterpretation of the RRISP-77 Iceland shear wave profiles, Geophys. J. Int. 126, 166-172, 1996.
64. Menke, W., Earthquakes (article), American Academic Encyclopedia, Grovier, Inc., 1995.
63. Menke, W. and D. Sparks, Crustal accretion model for Iceland predicts 'cold' crust, Geophys. Res. Lett., 1673-1676, 22, 1995.
62. Menke, W., V. Levin and R. Sethi, Seismic attenuation in the crust at the mid-Atlantic plate boundary in south-west Iceland, Geophys. J. Int. 122, 175-182, 1995.
61. Levin, V., A. Lerner-lam, and W. Menke, Anomalous mantle structure at the Proterozoic- Paleozoic boundary in northeasten US, Geophys. Res. Lett. 22, 121-124, 1995.
60. Levin , V., W.Y. Kim and W. Menke, Seismic velocities in the shallow crust of western New England and northern New York, Bull. Seism. Soc. Am. 85, 207-219, 1995.
59. Menke, W., B. Brandsdottir, S. Jakobsdottir and R. Stefansson, Seismic anisotropy in the crust at the mid-Atlantic plate boundary in south-west Iceland, Geophys. J. Int. 119, 783-790, 1994.
58. Gudmundsson, O., B. Brandsdottir, W. Menke and H. Olafsson, The magma chamber of Katla volcano in the propagating volcanic zone of south Iceland revealed by seismic undershooting, Geophys. J. Int. 119, 227-296, 1994.
57. Menke. W. and V. Levin, Cold crust in a hot spot, Geophys. Res. Lett. 21, 1967-1970, 1994.
56. Bjarnason, I., W. Menke and O. Flovenz, Reply, J. Geophys. Res. 99, 17915-17917, 1994.
55. Hu., G., W. Menke and C. Powell, Polarization tomography for P wave structure in southern California, J. Geophys. Res. 99, 15245-15256, 1994.
54. Hu, G., W. Menke and S. Rognvaldsson, A demonstration of the joint use of P wave polarization and travel-time data in tomographic inversion: crustal; velocity structure near the South Iceland Lowland Network, Geophys. Res. Lett. 20, 1407-1410, 1993.
53. Bjarnason, I. and W. Menke, Applications of the POCS inversion method to cross-borehole imaging, Geophysics 58, 941-948, 1993.
52. Bjarnason, I., W. Menke, O. Flovenz and D. Caress, Tomographic image of the spreading center in southern Iceland, J. Geophys. Res. 98, 6607-6622, 1993.
51. Brandsdottir, B. and W. Menke, Thin low velocity zone within the Krafla volcano, NE Iceland attributed to a small magma chamber, Geophys. Res. Lett. 19, 2381-2384, 1992.
50. Menke, W. and P. Friberg, Sharing waste management data over a wide are computer network, J. American Nuclear Society, 1992.
49. Menke, W. L. Shengold and B. Busby, Precison of broadband velocity measurements made with IRIS/PASSCAL instrumentation, Bull. Seism. Soc. Am. 82, 2256-2262, 1992.
48. Hu, G. and W. Menke, Formal inversion of laterally heterogeneous velocity structre from P wave polarization data, Geophys. J. Int. 110, 63-69, 1992.
47. Menke, W., P. Frieberg, A. Lerner-Lam, D. Simpson, R. Bookbinder and G. Karner, Sharing dataover Internet with the Lamont view-server system, EOS Trans. AGU 72, 409-414, 1991.
46. Menke, W., A. Lerner-Lam and R. Mithal, Spatial coherence of 5-25 Hz seismic wavefields at a hard rock site, Structural Safety 10, 163-179, 1991.
45. Menke, W. and A. Lerner-Lam, Observations of the transition from linear polarization to complex polarization in short period compressional waves, Bull. Seism. Soc. Am. 81, 611-621, 1991.
44. Menke, W., L. Shengold, H. Guo, G. Hu and A. Lerner-Lam, Peformance of the short period geophones of the IRIS/PASSCAL array, Bull. Seism. Soc. Am. 81, 232-242, 1991.
43. Menke, W., Application of the POCS inversion method to interpolating topography and other geophysical fields, Geophys. Res. Lett. 18, 435-438, 1991.
42. Menke, W., A. Lerner-Lam, B. Dubendorff, and J. Pacheco, Polarization and coherence of 5-30 Hz seismic wavefields at a hard rock site and their relevance to velocity heterogeneities in the crust, Bull. Seism. Soc. Am. 80, 430-449, 1990.
41. Menke, W., Letter to the Editor, Technology Review, p.6, April 1991 [not peer reviewed].
40. Brandsdottir, B. and W. Menke, Icequakes in Entujokull and Kotlujokull, Jokull 39, 96-98, 1989.
39. Dubendorff, B. and Menke, W., Physical modeling observations of wave velocity and apparent attenuation in isotropic and and anisotropic two phase media, Pure and Applied Geophysics 132, 363-400, 1990.
38. Ryan, W.B.F., W. Menke, W. Haxby, M. Edwards, World without Water [unpeered-revieweed videotape], 1989.
37. Abbott, D. and W. Menke, Length of global plate boundary at 1.2 Ga, Geology 18, 58-61, 1990.
36. Menke, W. and D. Abbott, Geophysical Theory (Textbook), Columbia University Press, 458p, 1989.
35. Menke, W., Geophysical Data Analysis: Discrete Inverse Theory, Revised Edition (textbook), Academic Press, Inc., New York, 1989.
34. Menke, W. and B. Dubendorff, Physical Model Studies, in Encyclopedia of Geophysics, D.E. James, Ed., Van Nostrand Reinhold, 1202-1211, 1989.
33. Brandsdottir, B. and W. Menke, Measurements of coda buildup and decay rates of western Pacific P, Po, and So phases and their relevance to lithospheric scattering, J. Geophys. Res. 10541-10559, 1988.
32. William Menke, Imaging the deep structure of the earth, 1987 L.D.G.O. Yearbook [not peer- reviewed]
31. Menke, W., Letter to the Editor, Science News 129, 355, 1986 [not peered reviewed].
30. Lerch, I. and W. Menke, An inversion method for separating apparent and intrinsic attenuation in layered media, Geophys. J. R. Astr. Soc. 87, 333-347, 1986.
29. Menke, W., Few 2-50 km corugations on the core mantle boundary, Geophys. Res. Lett. 13, 1501-1504, 1986.
28. Dubendorff, B. and W. Menke., Time-domain apparent attenuation operators for compressional and shear waves: experiment vs. single scattering theory, J. Geophys. Res. 91, 14,023- 14,032, 1986.
27. Menke, W., Effect of heterogeneities in D" on the decay rate of Pdiff, J. Geophys. Res. 91, 1927- 1933, 1986.
26. Menke, W. and B. Dubendorff, Discriminating intrinsic and apparent attenuation in latered rock, Geophys. Res. Lett. 12, 721-724, 1985.
25. Menke, W., D. Witte, and R. Chen, Laboratory test of apparent attenuation formula, Bull Seism. Soc. Am. 75, 1383-1393, 1985.
24. Menke, W., Imaging fault slip using teleseismic waveforms, analysis of a typical incomplete tomography experiment, Geophys. J. R. Astr. Soc. 81, 197-204, 1985.
23. Menke, W., Sieve analysis as tomography, J. Sed. Petr. 54, 1358-1365, 1984.
22. Menke, W. and R. Chen, Numerical studies of the coda falloff rate of multiply scattered waves in randomly layered media, Bull. Seism. Soc. Am. 74, No. 5, 1605-1621, 1984.
21. Menke, W., Geophysical Data Analysis: Discrete Inverse Theory (textbook), Academic Press, Inc., New York, 1984.
20. Menke, W., Asymtotic formulae for the apparent Q of weakly scattering three dimensional media, Bull. Seism. Soc. Am. 74, 1079-1081, 1984.
19. Abbott, D. H., W. Menke, M. Hobart, R. Anderson and R. W. Embley, Correlated sediment thickness, temperature gradient and excess pore pressure in a marine fault block basin, Geophysical Research Letters 11, 485-488, 1984.
18. Martinson, D.G., W. Menke and P. Stoffa, Reply to Shure and Chave's 'Comments on "An inverse approach to signal correlation"', J. Geophys. Res. 89, 2501-2504, 1984.
17. Menke, W., 1984. The resolving power of cross-borehole tomography, Geophys. Res. Lett. 11, 105-108.
16. Menke, W., 1983. On the effect of P-S coupling on the apparent attenuation of elastic waves in randomly layered media, Geophys. Res. Lett. 10, 1145-114.
15. Menke, W., 1983. A formula for the apparent attenuation of acoustic waves in randomly layered media, Geophys. J. R. astr. Soc. 75, 541-544.
14. Richards, P. G. and W. Menke, 1983. The apparent attenuation of a scattering medium, Bull. Seism. Soc. Am. 73, 1005-1021.
13. Menke, W. and P. G. Richards, 1983. The horizontal propagation of P waves through scattering media: Analog model studies relevant to long range Pn propagation, Bull. Seism. Soc. Am. 73, 125-142.
12. Abbott, D. H., W. Menke, and R. Morin, 1983. Constraints upon water advection in sediments of the Mariana Trough, J. Geophys. Res. 88, 1075-1093.
11. Menke, W., 1982. On extending Biot's theory of multiple scattering at low frequencies from acoustic to elastic media, Geophys. J. R. astr. Soc. 69, 819-829.
10. Martinson, D. G., W. Menke, and P. Stoffa, 1982. An inverse approach to signal correlation, J. Geophys. Res. 87, 4807-4818.
9. Menke, W. and P. G. Richards, 1982. On extending Biot's theory of low-frequency acoustic scatter about a rough fluid-rigid interface to more general acoustic media, J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 71, 1101-1105.
8. Menke, W., 1981. The effect of load shape on the deflection of thin elastic plates, Geophys. J. R. astr. Soc. 65, 571-577.
7. Abbott, D., W. Menke, M. Hobart, and R. N. Anderson, 1981. Evidence for excess pore pressures in Southwest Indian Ocean Sediments, J. Geophys. Res. 86, 1813-1827.
6. Menke, W. and P. G. Richards, 1980. Crust-mantle whispering gallery phases: A deterministic model of teleseismic P n wave propagation J. Geophys. Res. 85, 5416-5422.
5. Menke, W., 1979. Comment on 'Dispersion function computations for unlimited frequency values' by Anas Abo-Zena, Geophys. J. R. astr. Soc. 59, 315-323.
4. Menke, William, 1977. Lateral inhomogeneities in P velocity under the Tarbella array of the Lesser Himalayas of Pakistan, Bull. Seism. Soc. Am. 67, 725-734.
3. Menke, W. and K. H. Jacob, 1976. Seismicity patterns in Pakistan and Northwestern India associated with continental collision, Bull. Seism. Soc. Am. 66, 1695-1711.
2. Brecher, A., W. Menke, J. B. Adams, and M. J. Gaffey, 1975. The effects of heating and subsolidus reduction on lunar materials: An analysis by magnetic methods, optical, Mossbauer, and X-ray diffraction spectroscopy, Proceedings of the Sixth Lunar Science Conference 3, 3091-3109.
1. Brecher, A., W. Menke, and K. R. Morash, 1974. Comparative magnetic studies of some Apollo 17 rocks and soils and their implications, Proceedings of the Fifth Lunar Science Conference 3, 2795-2814.