State University of New York at Stony Brook - Ph.D., August 2003
Degree Program: Interdepartmental Doctoral Program in Anthropological Sciences
Dissertation Title: U-Pb Dating of Late Cenozoic Sedimentary Carbonates: Potential for Application to Paleoanthropological Time Scales
Dissertation Advisors: E. Troy Rasbury and Gilbert N. Hanson
Rutgers, the State University of New Jersey - B.A., May 1997
Degree Program: Anthropology; Minor: Marine and Coastal Sciences
Visiting Research Scientist, Department of Geosciences, Stony Brook University, Oct. 2013 - present
Adjunct Associate Research Scientist, Lamont Doherty Earth Observatory of Columbia University, August 2007 - present
Instructor of Geoscience, Dept. of Geography & Geology, Western Kentucky University, July 2012 - Dec. 2015
Part-time Faculty, Department of Geography and Geology, Western Kentucky University, July 2009 - July 2012
Columbia Science Fellow, Columbia University, Sept. 2005 - July 2007
Lecturer, Department of Earth and Environmental Sciences, Columbia University, Sept. 2005 - July 2007
Postdoctoral Research Fellow, The Earth Institute at Columbia University, Sept. 2003 - Aug. 2005
Instructor, Anthropology Dept., Stony Brook University, Aug. 2002 - Dec. 2002
Research Assistant, Geosciences Dept., Stony Brook University, Jan. 1999 - August 2003
Columbia Science Fellowship, 2005 - 2007
LDEO Climate Center grant, January 2004, June 2004, January 2005
The Earth Institute at Columbia University Postdoctoral Fellowship, 2003 - 2005
Sigma Xi Stony Brook Chapter Excellence in Research Award, 2002
Sigma Delta Epsilon Fellowship, Graduate Women in Science, 2001 - 2002
Bigel Fellowship, Rutgers University Anthropology Department, 1996 - 1997
Western Kentucky University
SUNY Stony Brook
1. Cole, J. M., Goldstein, S.L., deMenocal, P. B., Hemming, S.R., Grousset, F. E. 2009. Contrasting compositions of Saharan dust in the eastern Atlantic Ocean during the last deglaciation and African Humid Period. Earth and Planetary Science Letters 278: 257-266. [link - email me for a pdf copy]
2. Rasbury, E. T. and Cole, J. M. 2009. Directly dating geologic events: U-Pb dating of carbonates. Reviews of Geophysics 47: RG3001, doi:10.1029/2007RG000246. [link - email me for a pdf copy]
3. Rasbury, E. T. and Cole, J. M. 2006. Directly dating sedimentary rocks. In Olszewski, T, ed., Geochronology: Emerging Opportunities. Paleontological Society Short Course, October 21, 2006, Philadelphia, PA. Paleontological Society Papers 12: 77-105. [link - email me for a pdf copy]
4. Rasbury, E. T., Gierlowski-Kordesch, E. H., Cole, J. M., Sookdeo, C., Spataro, G., Nienstedt, J. 2006. Calcite cement stratigraphy of a nonpedogenic calcrete in the Triassic New Haven Arkose (Newark Supergroup). In Alonso-Zarza, A. M. and Tanner, L. H., eds., Paleoenvironmental Record and Applications of Calcretes and Palustrine Carbonates, Geological Society of America Special Paper 416: 203-222. [link - email me for a pdf copy]
5. Cole, J. M., Rasbury, E. T., Hanson, G. N, Montanez, I. P., and Pedone, V. A. 2005. Using U-Pb ages of Miocene tufa for correlation in a terrestrial succession, Barstow Formation, California. Geological Society of America Bulletin 117(3/4): 276-287. [link - email me for a pdf copy]
6. Cole, J. M., Rasbury, E. T., Montanez, I. P., Pedone, V. A., Lanzirotti, A., and Hanson, G.N. 2004. Petrographic and trace element analysis of uranium-rich tufa calcite, middle Miocene Barstow Formation, California, USA. Sedimentology 51(3): 433-453. [link - email me for a pdf copy]
7. Cole, J. M., Nienstedt, J., Spataro, G., Rasbury, E. T., Lanzirotti, A., Celestian, A. J., Nilsson, M., and Hanson, G. N. 2003. Phosphor imaging as a tool for in situ mapping of ppm levels of uranium and thorium in rocks and minerals. Chemical Geology 193(1-2): 127-136. [link - email me for a pdf copy]
8. Becker, M. L., Cole, J. M., Rasbury, E. T., Pedone, V. A., Montanez, I. P., and Hanson, G. N. 2001. Cyclic variations of uranium concentrations and oxygen isotopes in tufa from the middle Miocene Barstow Formation, Mojave Desert, California. Geology 29(2): 139-142. [link - email me for a pdf copy]
1. Cave, J., Pope, M., Celestian, A.J., Cole, J.M. 2014. Mineralogy of terrigenous marine sediment cores off NW Africa using quantitative X-ray diffraction methods. WKU Student Research Conference, Bowling Green, KY.
2. Pope, M., Cave, J., Celestian, A.J., Cole, J.M. 2014. Mineralogy and geochemistry of Saharan dust from marine cores. National Conference on Undergraduate Research, Lexington, KY.
3. Rasbury, T., Cole, J., Parrish, R., Bowring, S., Lanzirotti, A. 2013. U-Pb dating of carbonates from terrestrial vertebrate fauna bearing units. INVITED. (Society of Vertebrate Paleontology 73rd Annual Meeting. Los Angeles, CA.)
4. Hemming, S.R., Biscaye, P.E., Sahajpal, R., Cole, J.M., Broecker, W.S. 2013. The K/Ar system for tracing fine-grained terrigenous sediments: a survey of Atlantic clay fractions. Mineralogical Magazine 77(5): 1285. (23rd Annual V.M. Goldschmidt Conference. Florence, Italy.)
5. Toney, C. A., Cole, J. M., Celestian, A. J. 2010. Tufa mineralogy of the Barstow Formation in California. 15th Annual Kentucky EPSCOR Conference. Lexington, Kentucky.
6. Cole, J. M., deMenocal, P. B., Goldstein, S. L., Hemming, S. R., Grousset, F. E., Eglinton, T. I., Wagner, T. 2008. An oceanic perspective on the African Humid Period. Eos Trans. AGU, 89(53), Fall Meet. Suppl., Abstract PP23B-1474 INVITED.
7. Cole, J. M., Rasbury, E. T., Hemming, S. R., Machlus, M., Swisher, C. C. III. 2007. 40Ar/39Ar dating of the middle Miocene Skyline Tuff, Barstow Formation, CA. Eos Trans. AGU, 88(23), Jt. Assem. Suppl., Abstract H34A-06.
8. Rasbury, E. T. and Cole, J. M. 2007. Where is the U in calcite? Eos Trans. AGU, 88(23), Jt. Assem. Suppl., Abstract H34A-05 INVITED.
5. Cole, J. M., deMenocal, P. B., Goldstein, S. L., Hemming, S. R. 2006. Terrigenous evidence from marine sediments for deglacial climate variability in Africa. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta 70(18): A107. (16th Annual V. M. Goldschmidt Conference, Melbourne, Australia)
9. Hemming, S. R., Hunt, C., Downing, G. E., Zimmerman, S. R. H., Cole, J. M. 2006. Characterizing major iceberg sources to the North Atlantic and associated basins. Geological Society of America Abstracts with Programs 38(7): A49.
10. Cole, J. M. and Rasbury, E. T. 2005. Correlating geochronology, lithostratigraphy, biostratigraphy, and magnetostratigraphy: An exercise from the Miocene Barstow Formation, California. Geological Society of America Abstracts with Programs 37(7): A150.
11. Rasbury, E. T. and Cole, J. M. 2005. U-Pb dating of carbonates: The need for petrographic evaluation and integration of undergraduate and graduate students in the research. Geological Society of America Abstracts with Programs 37(7): A149.
12. Cole, J.M., deMenocal, P.B., Goldstein, S.L., and Adkins, J.F. 2004. LGM to Holocene African climate variability and the Sr, Nd, and Pb isotope ratios of eolian deposits off northwest Africa. Eos Transactions AGU 85(46), Fall Meeting Suppl., Abstract U14A-04.
Koobi Fora Field School, Kenya (1996), Serengeti, Tanzania (1998), Blombos Cave, South Africa (2000), Pinnacle Point Caves, Mossel Bay, South Africa (2000)
Iowa State Geology Field Camp, Wyoming (1998), Barstow Formation, California (2002), Lake Bogoria, Kenya (2002), Mojave Desert, California and Nevada(2005)