Division of Ocean and Climate Physics (DOCP) 2010-2011 Seminars
Fridays 11am Gary C. Comer Geochemistry Building Seminar Room
Summer Semester 2010
- May 21, 2010 - Samantha Stevenson (University of Colorado at Boulder)
Title: "Using New Statistical Methods to Understand ENSO"
- Jun 10, 2010 - Dr. Sheekela Baker-Yeboah (MIT)
Title: "A Process of Inter-Ocean Exchange in Relation to the Ocean-Climate Meridional Overturning Circulation (MOC) of the South Atlantic"
- Jun 11, 2010 - Dr. Robin Robertson (Australian Defence Force Academy)
Title: "Tides and Tidally-Driven Melting in Pine Island Bay"
- Jun 18, 2010 - Dr. James Ledwell (Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution)
Title: "Mixing in the ACC West of Drake Passage"
- Jul 9, 2010 - Dr. Bette Otto-Bliesner (NCAR)
Title: "Modeling the Climate Evolution and Abrupt Changes from Last Glacial Maximum to Early Holocene"
Fall Semester 2010
- Sep 10, 2010 - Olivia Fussell (CEO, Carbon Credit Capital LLC & CINCS LLC )
Title: "Developing Land Use Carbon Offsets Globally"
- Sep 17, 2010 -
Prof. Kevin Walsh
(University of Melbourne)
Title: "Seasonal and daily prediction of tropical cyclones in the South Pacific"
- Sep 24, 2010 -
Prof. Hsien-Wang Ou
Title: "A minimal model of the Atlantic multidecadal variability: its genesis and predictability"
- Oct 1, 2010 - Dr. Chueh-Hsin Chang (Shing) (University of Maryland)
Title: "Subseasonal Variability Induced by Orographic Wind Jets in the East Pacific Warm Pool and South China Sea"
- Oct 8, 2010 -
Prof. Brian Dushaw
(University of Washington)
Title: "Lamont's 1960 Perth to Bermuda antipodal acoustic propagation experiment:
A measure of a half century of ocean warming?"
- Oct 15, 2010 - Dr. Lareef Zubair (IRI)
Title: "Does tropical climate adaptation need advanced climate science?"
- Oct 22, 2010 -
Martha W Buckley
Title: "Exploring Atlantic decadal variability using a hierarchy of models"
- Oct 29, 2010 - Dr. Rym Msadek (Princeton University)
Title: "Assessing the decadal variability and predictability of climate using the GFDL coupled model"
- Nov 5, 2010 - Dr. Christopher J. Merchant (University of Edinburgh)
Title: "Space-based observation of global sea surface temperature for climate"
- Nov 12, 2010 - Prof. Jason Smerdon (Lamont)
Title: "Reconstructing the Global Climate of the Common Era: An Autobiographical Journey"
- Nov 19, 2010 - Dr. Christopher J. Zappa (Lamont)
Title: "Precipitation and the global air-sea CO2 flux"
- Dec 3, 2010 - Dr. Neven Fuckar (IPRC)
Title: "Adaptive scaling model of the main pycnocline
and the associated overturning circulation"
- Dec 10, 2010 - Stefan F. Gary (Duke University)
Title: "Interior pathways for the deep limb of the AMOC: evidence and a mechanism"
Spring Semester 2011
- Jan 28, 2011 - Ying Li (GFDL)
Title: "Mechanisms for the late-winter teleconnection between ENSO and NAO"
- Feb 4, 2011 - Prof. Nathan Paldor (Hebrew University of Jerusalem)
Title: "Wave solutions of Laplace's Tidal Equations on a rotating sphere: Revisiting a 400 year old problem"
- Feb 11, 2011 - Dr. Tiffany Shaw (Lamont)
Title: "Transforming the mean-meridional circulation of the atmosphere"
- Feb 18, 2011 - Dr. Daehyun Kim (Lamont)
Title: "A Mechanism Denial Study on the Madden-Julian Oscillation"
- Feb 25, 2011 - Andreas Klocker (MIT)
Title: "Reconciling Lagrangian and Eulerian estimates of eddy diffusivities in the Southern Ocean"
- Mar 4, 2011 - Dr. Andreas Thurnherr (Lamont)
Title: "Vertical Velocity from LADCP Data"
- Mar 11, 2011 - Dr. Apostolos Voulgarakis (GISS)
Title: "Using satellite observations and models to understand processes in the chemistry-climate system"
- Mar 25, 2011 - Prof. Richard Seager (Lamont)
Title: "Is anthropogenic subtropical drying and expansion already occurring?"
- Apr 1, 2011 - Prof. Johan Nilsson (Stockholm University)
Title: "The Ocean has Sloping Boundaries: theory and conceptual modelling of subpolar seas."
- Apr 8, 2011 - Dr. Chaim Garfinkel (Johns Hopkins University)
Title: "Coupling between El Nino and Stratospheric Variability"
- Apr 15, 2011 - Dr. Juliana Dias (Cooperative Institute for Research in Environmental Sciences)
Title: "Interactions between the ITCZ and Convectively Coupled Kelvin Waves"
- Apr 22, 2011 - Prof. Anji Seth (University of Connecticut)
Title: "Enhanced Spring Convective Barrier for Monsoons in a Warmer World?"
- Apr 29, 2011 - Dr. Kelvin Rennert
Title: "U.S. Climate Policy in the 111th and 112th Congresses: A climate scientist's perspective from inside the U.S. Senate"
- May 6, 2011 - Dr. Sarah Kang (APAM,Columbia)
Title: "Croll Revisited: Why is the Northern Hemisphere Warmer than the Southern Hemisphere?"
- May 10, 2011 - Prof. Josh Kohut (Rutgers University)
Title: "Application of underwater gliders in the ecosystem based research of our remote polar seas"
- May 11, 2011 - Dr. Gidon Eshel (Bard College)
Title: "Computing Sustainability of North American Food Production: the Water, Reactive nitrogen, Land and Greenhouse Gas Costs"
- May 13, 2011 - Prof. Mathias Vuille (SUNY at Albany)
Title: "A history of the South American monsoon as recorded in stable isotope
- May 20, 2011 - Prof. Benjamin R. Lintner (Rutgers University)
Title: "Diagnosing low-level wind-moisture-precipitation relationships along tropical convective margins"