– To select the top candidates for the LDEO postdoctoral fellowships.
The committee meets annually for the LDEO Postdoctoral Fellowship Selection and makes recommendations to the Director.
Anually, and subject to the availability of funds, Postdoctoral Fellows (normally three) are selected on a competitive basis from applications made by prospective candidates, upon evaluation of the candidate's academic record and proposed research plan. The advertisements are published in the fall of each year. During the months of December and January the applications are open to examination by the scientific staff of the Observatory, who are invited to comment on scientific excellence, academic achievement, ability to contribute to the research needs and goals of the Observatory, and potential for obtaining future funding. The recommendations of the Observatory staff are then considered by the Postdoctoral Fellowship Committee. The Committee sends its recommendations to the Director, who then extends offers.
2021 - 2022 committee:
- Ben Bostick, Chair,
- Natalie Boelman, Biology and Paleo Environment
- Jennifer Middleton, Geochemistry
- Tim Crone, Marine Geology and Geophysics
- Xiaojun Yuan, Ocean and Climate Physics
- Felix Waldhauser, Seismology, Geology and Tectonophysics
- Vicki Ferrini (Ex Officio)
Members of the scientific staff, appointed by the Director and representing the disciplinary range of the Observatory. Members rotate on a 3-year basis.