The Safety office is responsible for managing all Lamont-Doherty Earth Observatory (LDEO) safety and environmental protection programs. While the information provided below (on this web site) is specific to the LDEO campus, Laboratory Personnel should review the " SAFETY POLICIES " for information specific to all Columbia University Laboratories.
Medical, Police, Fire Emergencies requiring immediate response call 911 then call 555 from any campus phone or (845) 359-2900 to notify Safety/Security office so that we may direct the emergency responders. Dialing 911 directly will also connect you with Emergency Response.
Note: Medical Emergencies- The LDEO Campus is equipped with 5 Automatic External Defibrillators (AEDs):
- Administration (1st Floor, outside of Saftey Office)
- Comer (1st Floor, outsid of Lab 102)
- Geoscience (1st Floor Lobby - to the right upon entrance)
- Monell (Upper Lobby - outside of restrooms)
- Guard Booth
NON life threatening emergencies (e.g. broken water lines, leaks, chemical spills/odors, wildlife hazards, which do not reguire external agency response dial 555 from any campus phone or (845) 359-2900 if using cell phone or off campus.
Click on link above for what to do in the event that there is a fire. Muster location maps are located in each building. You should familiarize yourself with the locations so that you are prepared in case there is a fire while you are in that building.
Click on the link above to register with the LDEO ENS to receive alerts of emergency situations including campus delayed openings,closings and/or shuttle bus service disruptions.
If an accident occurs on the LDEO Campus the LDEO Safety office needs to be contacted to coordinate the correction action plan. This includes accidents / injuries on duty to employees, students, visitors or vendors. Send an email to email@example.com and then call 845-359-2900.
- All work-related injuries resulting in amputation, loss of an eye or in-patient hospitalization must be reported to LDEO Safety office immediately, as such accidents need to be reported to OSHA within 24 hours, whereas work related fatalities must be reported to OSHA within 8 hours.
For any of the above listed work related accidents, the following information should be included in your communication to LDEO Safety:
- Location of the work-related incident (bldg, floor, room)
- Time of the accident
- Type of reportable event (i.e. fatality, inpatient hospitalization, amputation, or loss of an eye)
- Number of employees who suffered the event
- Names of the employees who suffered the event
- Contact person and his/her phone number
- Brief description of the work related incident
After ANY accident occurs, the injured person is to fill out an Accident Report.. The Accident Report must be filled out for ALL accidents, even if the affected person appears uninjured. The supervisor or host must notify the Safety office ASAP, which will prompt an accident investigation. A corrective action plan is to be negotiated with the Safety office in order to complete the accident report.
Click HERE for the Columbia University Accident Report Form
Upon completion, scan and send form to those listed on page 2 of the form, as well as to the LDEO HR department and LDEO Safety office.. Note: Claims should be reported to HR as soon as possible to avoid delays in processing the claim.
Manager: Howie Matza
Telephone: (845) 365-8822
FAX: (845) 365-8101
Asst. Manager: Cathy Troutman
Telephone: (845) 365-8860
Night Supervisor: Joshua Davenport
Telephone: (845) 365-8418
Lamont-Doherty Earth Observatory
P. O. Box 1000
Palisades, NY 10964-8000
After Hours Telephone - (845) 359-2900