- cite all ideas, concepts, text, data that are not your
- if you make a statement, back it up with your own data
or a reference
- all references cited in the text must be listed
- cite single-author references by the surname of the
author (followed by date of the publication in
- ... according to Hays (1994)
- ... population growth is one of the greatest
environmental concerns facing future generations
- cite double-author references by the surnames of both
authors (followed by date of the publication in
- e.g. Simpson and Hays (1994)
- cite more than double-author references by the surname
of the first author followed by et al. and then the date
of the publication
- e.g. Pfirman, Simpson and Hays would be:
- Pfirman et al. (1994)
- do not use footnotes
- list all references cited in the text in alphabetical
order using the following format for different types of
- Hunt, S. (1966) Carbohydrate and amino acid
composition of the egg capsules of the whelk. Nature,
- National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration
(1997) Commonly asked questions about ozone.
- Pfirman, S.L., M. Stute, H.J. Simpson, and J. Hays
(1996) Undergraduate research at Barnard and Columbia,
Journal of Research, 11, 213-214.
- Pechenik, J.A. (1987) A short guide to writing about
biology. Harper Collins Publishers, New York, 194pp.
- Pitelka, D.R., and F.M. Child (1964) Review of
ciliary structure and function. In: Biochemistry
and Physiology of Protozoa, Vol. 3 (S.H. Hutner,
editor), Academic Press, New York, 131-198.
- Sambrotto, R. (1997) lecture notes, Environmental
Data Analysis, Barnard College, Oct 2, 1997.
- Stute, M., J.F. Clark, P. Schlosser, W.S. Broecker,
and G. Bonani (1995) A high altitude continental
paleotemperature record derived from noble gases
dissolved in groundwater from the San Juan Basin, New
Mexico. Quat. Res., 43, 209-220.
- New York Times (1/15/00) PCBs in the Hudson still an
- it is acceptable to put the initials of the individual
authors behind their last names, e.g. Pfirman, S.L.,
Stute, M., Simpson, H.J., and Hays, J (1996)
Undergraduate research at ......