Contact: The Office of the Director, Lamont-Doherty Earth Observatory, Columbia University, Palisades, NY 10964
845-365-8546 | firstname.lastname@example.org
Note: Related postdoctoral opportunities are available at the Earth Institute at Columbia University.
Columbia University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer – Race/Gender/Disability/Veteran. The Lamont community values diversity and inclusion, and encourages applications from members of underrepresented minority groups.
Instructions for Applicants: Lamont-Doherty Postdoctoral Fellowships, 2022-2023
1. Deadline: The deadline for submitting application materials, aside from recommendation letters, is November 5, 2021. The deadline for referees to submit letters of recommendation is November 12, 2021. Applicants are strongly encouraged to apply early and to request that their referees send in letters in a timely manner. Letters received after the deadline will be considered as time allows at the discretion of the selection committee.
2. Application website: Applications must be submitted on the Columbia University online application system. After reading all of the instructions, scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the "Apply for Fellowship" button, which will take you to the website where you can submit your application.
3. Application materials: Applicants must submit a CV, including a list of publications; a research proposal; and a list of three referees who will provide letters of recommendation. A current email address must be provided for each referee. Lamont will contact referees for letters of recommendation.
4. Research proposal: The research proposal (called the “Statement of Research” on the application website) should describe the research you propose to conduct at Lamont, as well as your general research interests and goals. You must include a title for your research proposal. Please limit your research proposal to no more than 3 pages, excluding references. Mention your name on the first page on your proposal. Please use a 12-point font. In the interest of fairness to all applicants, the page limit will be strictly enforced.
5. Primary area of research: On the application website, you will be asked to select one of five areas of research: solid-Earth dynamics; ocean, atmospheric, and climate systems; cryospheric dynamics; paleoclimate; or biogeoscience. If your areas of interest span more than one of these fields, select the one that most closely matches your research proposal. If none of these areas apply, select “Other/ None of the above.”
6. Current research at Lamont: Applicants are encouraged to learn about current research programs at the Observatory. Visit the Research pages of our website.
7. Contacting Lamont scientists prior to applying: Applicants are strongly encouraged to contact potential mentors at Lamont to discuss the possibility of working with them. Visit the People pages of our website.
8. Requesting letters from referees: When you submit your application, your referees will automatically receive a request from Lamont. Please inform your referees to expect the request with a deadline of November 12, 2021 for letters of recommendation.
9. Selection criteria: The principal selection criteria are scientific excellence and a clearly expressed plan to investigate one or more problems at the forefront of Earth science.
10. Number of fellowships: The number of fellowships awarded can vary from year to year, ranging from 2 to 4 fellowships per year.
11. Fellowship details: Fellowships are supported institutionally for 24 months and for the coming year will provide an annual salary of $66,000 and a one-time research allowance of $7,500. A portion of the research allowance may be used to cover moving costs, subject to the Director’s approval.
12. Columbia housing: Fellowship recipients are eligible to apply for Columbia University housing; housing slots are limited, however, and a waiting period is often required.
13. Expected start date: The expected start date should be in the fall semester of 2021 or spring semester of 2022.
14. Contact: Applicants can send additional questions to email@example.com.
Apply for the Lamont-Doherty Postdoctoral Fellowship: