SEQRA & the Public
List of Terms
Lamont-Doherty Earth Observatory
RESOURCES TO HELP WITH YOUR PLANNING!
A SUSTAINABLE CITY IN DUBAIS
- Dubais has developed a housing development called the Sustainable City that is remarkable in design and function. This video (note this is on youtube) takes you on a quick tour of the way they have balanced their energy, resource and environmental needs as they built a community with recreational and social connectivity and an ecomonic base.
PLANNING & DESIGN GUIDES
- The Lower Hudson Valley released a Regional Sustainability Plan for our area. Land use and transportation, energy and water management, open space, agriculture, climate change mitigation are primary topics in their review. The Report Executive Summaryand full report are an excellent review of the same concerns you are considering in your community.
- The Regional Planning Association released a report on climate impact concerns in planning for the Tri-State Area. Excellent graphics, regional maps and written summary of impacts.
- Designyourtown.org is a toolkit designed by local planners with loads of ideas on how to improve the design of your town, including best practices, and local 'case studies'.
- The Piermont Waterfront Resilience Task Force Report focusing on how to improve the resilience of the waterfront after the Storm Surge impacts from Super Storm Sandy.
- Building Healthy Places is a toolkit from the Urban land Institute on healthy design tips!
- American Planning Association in your Community is a resource site for community planning ideas.
- 10 Sustainable Architectural Designs
- Learn about your County with Data Visualizations and Statistics about Rockland County
- LEED (Leadership in Energy & Environmental Design) Neighborhood Development Guidelines.
- Circular Economy in Europe. How tobuild reuse and recycle into our daily lives rather than focusing on single use items.
TRANSIT AND PLANNING
- Learn about a local Bus Rapid Transit project. New York City BRT - full article
- How can cities go car free? Check out examples. Cities Going Car Free
- Link to Ted Talks on Planning & Transit
- Encouraging Transit Oriented Development - With the New Bridge and the promised busing improvements are there ways to encourage people out of their cars? An excellent resource on encouraging people out of their cars and into mass transit check out these two short (less than 5 minute) videos from EMBARQ.
- Link to creative marketing ideas for mass transit.
- Link to New York City initiatives.
CLIMATE AND PLANNING
- The National Climate Assessment report. An interactive, readable report viewable by region or topic, and filled with graphics, metrics and downloadable charts about U.S. climate.
- The Polar Explorer: Sea Level App, a free downloadable map based iOS app for ipads and iphones, filled with sea level causes, impacts and vulnerable regions